Wednesday, June 18, 2014

It begins!

At our consultation last Friday, we were given a check list of things we needed to do before we could do IVF.  The list included lab work for the both of us, an updated semen analysis for Chris, a financial consultation, a saline ultrasound of my uterus to check for polyps and fibroids, a "mock" transfer to prepare for the real deal, a Pap smear and a highly suggested genetic test.

On Monday we had our financial consultation to discuss the cost of everything. Yes, IVF is expensive but it was never about the money for us. We would pay ten times the amount were going to in order to have our own baby. Yesterday, Chris completed everything he needed to and I sent out the genetic test. The genetic test is a saliva test that screens for several disorders that may affect our children. If I am a carrier for a recessive gene, Chris will need to complete the test too to see if he is a carrier for the same recessive gene. If we are both carriers for the same one, our children have a 1 in 4 chance of having the disorder. So, I think it is totally worth doing! 

During our consultation, I was told I would need to call on day 1 of my cycle to schedule the saline ultrasound and mock transfer.  I've been anxiously waiting for my period to start and have never been so excited to start! So, we have the saline ultrasound and mock transfer scheduled for June 25th! Then tomorrow I'll start birth control. Wait, what? Birth control? Doesn't that seem contradictory? I'm TRYING to get pregnant, not prevent pregnancy. So here's the deal with the birth control.... The birth control is started to regulate my hormones, prevent ovarian cysts and hyper stimulation of my ovaries during the IVF process. I'll be on it for a couple of weeks and then start injections to mature my follicles that will hopefully have nice, healthy eggs inside! 

On the 24th I'll have my pap done and blood work. Everything is moving along as it should and I should have a better idea of what the next step is on the 25th! Woohoo! 

The genetic test 

I forgot how to take these..... 

1 comment: