Monday, July 7, 2014

It's a go!

At our appointment this morning I had my baseline ultrasound to check my ovaries and follicles before starting injections. My ovaries looked good still, with 3-4 follicles on each ovary. My cyst on my right Fallopian tube was no where to be found and there weren't any cysts on my ovaries. Dr. Norian said it's normal for women to get cysts throughout their cycle and he was pleased with what he saw on the ultrasound.  He gave us the go ahead to start injections tonight and go over how to administer them with the nurse. 

So, we met with the nurse and she went over how to prepare the medication and administer them.  We gave her all of the paperwork and consents we had to sign (30 pages worth). The paperwork basically went over the risks involved with doing IVF, the procedures and medication.  The results from my genetic test were in and according to the test, I am a carrier for Pseudocholinesterase Deficiency.  What the eff is that?? Well, apparently it "causes sensitivity to particular forms of surgical anesthesia. After receiving these drugs, people may experience a longer than normal period of breathing paralysis, but medical teams are typically equipped to handle such an event. The condition does not cause any other symptoms."  Nothing serious and the chances of Chris being a carrier for the same thing no one has ever even freaking heard of is pretty rare.  Nonetheless, Dr. Norian highly suggested Chris complete the genetic test as well so that's what we did. We should get those results in a couple of weeks. 

After our appointment, I had to go get my blood drawn to check my estrogen levels. The doctor wants them to be at a certain level throughout the cycle so my ovaries don't get hyperstimulated and to see if my medication needs to be adjusted. The nurse told me if I didn't hear from her before the end of closing at 5, my levels were normal and to move forward with the injections.  

I didn't hear from her, so we did the injections tonight! I will have two injections every night, preferably at the same time, until the doctor or nurse tells me otherwise.  I have my next appointment on Friday to see how I'm responding to the medication and I will more than likely start a 3rd injection over the weekend. The injections themselves were not bad at all. They are really small needles and Chris was gentle when he injected them. He prepared the injections tonight and I'll prepare them tomorrow so I can be familiar with preparing them as well. So, keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer for us that I respond well to the medication and things continue to go smoothly for us. 

Alissha 

On our way! 
The medication, needles and syringes 
The top injection is Follistim, a pre-filled syringe kind of like an Epi Pen and the bottom one is Menopur. We had to mix the powder with saline solution and draw it up. 
Prepping my belly! 
Follistim 
Menopur. This one stings a bit as it's going in. 
No pain, no gain! Grow follicles, grow! 

1 comment: